This guide details the infrastructure that you require to access our systems at The Keyholding Company. This document helps to find out information about your device, software and internet connection while also providing advice on systems.
If you use a personal device to access The Keyholding Company's systems, there are a few criteria that need to be followed. This is to allow the security of both your device and the The Keyholding Company's systems to be up to date and secure.
The Operating System is what is used to run the hardware and software on computers. Every laptop/computer has an operating system, with the most common being Microsoft Windows and Apple macOS. It is imperative to have a supported operating system, as they receive regular security updates whereas unsupported/out of date operating systems don't and can be a risk.
How to find out your operating system
1. Click on Start, then right click on This PC/Computer and select Properties
2. Under Windows Edition it should tell you what version of Microsoft Windows you are running
1. Click on the apple menu icon at the top left corner of the screen and select About This Mac
2. The operating system name and its version will be on the overview tab
Supported Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows 10
- macOS Catalina
- macOS Mojave
- macOS High Sierra
- macOS Sierra
An internet browser is a program that is used to access web pages on a computer, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It is a requirement to use a supported browser, please see the list below.
We recommend Google Chrome, as its the browser we currently use on our company devices. Installation instructions for Google Chrome can be found here.
Updates on a computer are essential. They contain upgrades, patches and security updates. We require for Updates to be automatically turned on, if using a personal device. Please see instructions below about how to enable Windows Updates.
1. Click Start, then type updates
2. Click on Windows Update Settings
3. Make sure that Windows updates are enabled and they are set to install
The Keyholding Company have made their systems web based, to allow remote working possible. Therefore its imperative to have a reliable internet connection if you are working remotely. We use systems (Phones), that rely on a good internet connection to work.
To test the speed of your internet connection, please follow the below instructions. The average download speed should be about 30 Mbps and the upload speed should be 7 Mbps.
1. Open Internet Browser (e.g. Google Chrome) and go to www.google.com
2. Type in Speed Test
3. Click Run Speed Test
4. Allow the speed test to complete, this should take 1-2 minutes
5. It should then let you know your Download and Upload speed, and also let you know how your quick your connection is
Cyber Security information
Anti-Virus products are essential pieces of software for computers (personal and business). They protect you against viruses and other malicious programs that could negatively affect your device. There are a range of Anti-Virus products from paid versions to free versions.
If you don't have an anti-virus system in place, we highly recommend that you have one installed. This will protect your computer against viruses, trojans and malware. Please be aware that these products will not catch all risks and it is good to follow cyber security best practices which can be found here.
Please find below the supported Anti-Virus products, that we allow personal devices to have installed and connect to our systems.
If you don't have one of these products installed on your personal device, we recommend the below product as we use this on our company devices and find it effective.
Download Sophos here. Follow the sign up process and it will send you a verification email. You will be able to download Sophos for free, you do not need the Premium version unless you want increased security.
If you need any advice or assistance with this process, please contact The Keyholding Company IT Department.
A firewall is a system that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing traffic. It can be used as a barrier to stop malicious traffic getting connected to your computer. Most computers come with an inbuilt firewall. Below is how to check that your firewall is turned on and working.
1. In the Search Bar on Windows, type in Firewall and then click Check firewall status
2. This will take you to the Windows Defender Firewall page. Hopefully all the networks, will have the firewall connected
3. If it doesn't, you can click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off and then select Turn on Windows Defender Firewall for all the networks